Barley-stuffed peppers are a wonderful addition to any event. The barley and mushroom filling is great covered with a melted mozzarella cheese. This meal is great for vegetarians, but the plate will definitely be eye-catching if different colored peppers are used. Add an herb garnish for an extra splash of flavor.
Nutrition Facts * Calories195, * Total Fat (g)5, * Saturated Fat (g)2, * Cholesterol (mg)62, * Sodium (mg)364, * Carbohydrate (g)28, * Fiber (g)5, * Protein (g)12, * Vitamin C (DV%)213, * Calcium (DV%)17, * Iron (DV%)8, * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 large red, yellow, and/or green sweet peppers (about 1 pound)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese (3 ounces)
- 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded, and chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/3 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh rosemary or 1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon onion salt
- Several dashes bottled hot pepper sauce
- Fresh rosemary (optional)
- Dried red chili peppers (optional)
- In a medium saucepan combine the broth, mushrooms, and barley. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 12 to 15 minutes or until barley is tender. Drain thoroughly.
- Cut sweet peppers in half lengthwise; remove seeds and membranes. If desired, precook pepper halves in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together the egg, 1/2 cup of the cheese, the tomato, zucchini, bread crumbs, basil, rosemary, onion salt, and bottled hot pepper sauce. Stir in cooked barley mixture. Place peppers, cut side up, in a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Spoon barley mixture into the pepper halves.
- Bake stuffed peppers, covered, in a 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until filling is heated through. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the peppers. Return to oven; bake 2 minutes more. Carefully transfer peppers to a serving platter. If desired, garnish with fresh rosemary and dried red chili peppers. Makes 4 servings.